How To Report Changes on – Income, Dependents, Etc

So you enrolled in an ACA plan for 2014 AND you got a discounted rate (or a subsidy) from the government.  One thing you have to make sure you do is keep all of your information current so that you continue to get the subsidy and/or you are not be charged back when you file your taxes.

Here are the life changes you need to report:

If you:
Get married or divorced
Have a child, adopt a child, or place a child for adoption
Have a change in income
Get health coverage through a job or a program like Medicare or Medicaid
Change your place of residence
Have a change in disability status
Gain or lose a dependent
Become pregnant
Experience other changes that may affect your income and household size

Other changes to report: change in tax filing status; change of citizenship or immigration status; incarceration or release from incarceration; change in status as an American Indian/Alaska Native or tribal status; correction to name, date of birth, or Social Security number.

When and how to report changes

You should report these changes to the Marketplace as soon as possible.

If these changes qualify you for a special enrollment period to change plans, in most cases you have 60 days from the life event to enroll in new coverage. If the changes qualify you for more or less savings, it’s important to make adjustments as soon as possible.

You can report these changes 2 ways:

Online. Log in to your account (or create an account if you don’t have one). Select your application, then select “Report a life change” from the menu on the left.

By phone. Contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)

After you report changes to the Marketplace, you’ll get a new eligibility notice that will explain:

Whether you qualify for a special enrollment period that allows you to change plans

Whether you’re eligible for lower costs based on your new income, household size, or other changed information. You may become eligible for the first time, for a different amount of savings, or for coverage through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). You also could become ineligible for savings–if your income has gone up, for example.

If you’re eligible for a special enrollment period

You’ll be able to shop for a different plan in the Marketplace. You usually have up to 60 days from the date of the qualifying event to enroll in a new plan.

If you have a special enrollment period, you can change plans 2 ways:

Online. Log in to your account and select your application. Then select “Eligibility and Appeals” from the menu on the left. Next, scroll down and click the green “Continue to enrollment” button. You can then shop for plans and change your selection.

By phone. Contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325).

If you’re not eligible for a special enrollment period but the tax credit you qualify for has changed

You can’t change plans. But you can choose to adjust the amount of the tax credit to apply to your monthly premiums.

To change your home address, email address, or phone number, update the information on your Marketplace Profile page.  This will only update it with, you will still need to report address, email, and phone changes to your insurance company too. 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *